Friendship with oneself is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world. ― Eleanor Roosevelt
Typically, we think of kindness as flowing out to others, but it can also mean being kind to ourselves. Let’s use Monday to see kindness in a new light.
Having kindness towards yourself or self-compassion means accepting all of who you are, even with your imperfections, as you would a good friend or a loved one. The entire flower is lovely, not just the vibrant petals!
When you feel down on yourself it can create anxiety, depression, and stress. If you choose to practice kindness towards yourself instead, your life could become richer, fuller, and more positive.
Cultivate your self-compassion by using an exercise to recollect your own goodness.
- Find a quiet place to reflect for a few minutes.
- Take a few deep cleansing breaths.
- Bring your positive qualities to mind.
- Give yourself recognition, respect, love, and forgiveness.
- If a negative thought arises about yourself, simply label it “thinking” or “wandering” and return to the self-compassion exercise.
- Conclude by recognizing and appreciating your many positive qualities.
As you close the practice, try extending your thoughts to your friends, family, and loved ones as a way to celebrate the goodness in yourself and others. Practice self-compassion on Monday and continue throughout the week. You’ll feel lighter, brighter, and like a flower, more colorful.
Download and share the tip below to encourage your friends and followers to #DeStressMonday!